There’s nothing like a tasty burger…..
A soft and slightly sweet bun, a well seasoned and moist beef patty (ideally served medium), oozing melted day-glo yellow processed cheese, a weeny amount of salad – perhaps a slice of lettuce, gherkin and onion, a dollop of Heinz ketchup and a smear of mayonnaise are all it takes.
It’s simple isn’t it?
Well maybe not. I’m yet to have burger in Cardiff that’s any better than a Big Mac.
In fact nothing I’ve sampled has come remotely close to the superlatively brilliant In’N’Out or Byron Burger. And this is before I’ve even tried Lucky Chip or Meat Liquor which are reported to be London’s finest.
I’ve got a lot of love for the Pear Tree on Wellfield Road. It’s chilled out, they do nice coffee and cake for 3 quid, its got a decent range of lagers on tap (although their cheapest pint does cost more than £3) and it’s the only place I’ve ever won a pub quiz in my life.
However, the Pear Tree’s Dragon’s Breath Burger (£7.50) is definitely not Cardiff’s best offering.
The bun was fairly well textured, the bacon was thick, and the jalapenos gave a decent kick to proceedings. The fries were nice and crisp as well. Unfortunately the beef patty was so well cooked that it was as dry as a garden during a hosepipe ban. Also the smear of Dragon’s breath chilli cheese had the odd grainy texture of all repugnant cheeses with bits in (Wensleydale with apricots anyone?...)
Don’t get me wrong it was very edible (I’ll enjoy pretty much anything). It just wasn’t very good.
So where’s Cardiff’s best burger to be had? Or do I just need to book another holiday to the USA?
The details:
The Pear Tree, Wellfield Road, Cardiff, CF24 3PE
Telephone - 029 2025 2042



0 Comments